15 February 2008

Tales from TwinsFest 2008

Good day, fine readers! I'd like to apologize for the extended absence. The past months I've been a busy gal, between the Maid of Honor duties I had for a childhood friend's wedding, Christmas, and a handful of new projects at my day job!

However, not too busy to attend TwinsFest 2008! I'll let Nicky tell the story of how Brian Buscher is jealous of Nick Blackburn (who, IMO, is tragically less attractive up close than he is while pitching).

I do have two rather amusing stories, myself!

Also in attendance at TwinsFest was the boyfriend. When walking up to the Jesse Crain/Brendan Harris/Kevin Slowey table, RG reminsces of a day when he was hanging around outside the Metrodome and a dude came up to him and offered him an extra ticket. Being a friendly guy who'll never pass up a free baseball ticket, he took it. The name on the season ticket was "Bernard Slowey" and apparently the other people with those seats were cheering wildly for little Kevin, who was pitching that day. So RG says to me, "I wonder if they're related to Kevin Slowey, then?". He goes up to Kevin Slowey, hands him the jersey he wants signed and says, "Hey, man, do you know a Bernard Slowey?" to which he replies "Bernard Slowey... nope, don't think so." and my honey walks away looking slightly disappointed. This entire time I am snickering to myself about the failed attempt at establishing rapport with a pro baseball player and as I'm handing Kevin my ball to sign, I turn to RG and say "Oh, I'm so proud of you today." Keving Slowey assumes I'm speaking to him, and looks up from signing my baseball to give me an awkward "thanks!".

Yes, Kevin Slowey. I am proud of you today. Today.

We also took a clubhouse tour, which was quite cool. We saw the dugout, the locker rooms and the press box. After walking through the locker room/workout area and following the group to the press box, I was behind RG and Nicky, distracted by something in my bag. I walked out in the hallway and looked up right as I ran smack into Paul Molitor. Literally. I literally, physically ran into Hall of Fame infielder Paul Molitor.

We also played "Dodgeball" and won free tickets, bought tickets to the April 1st game, and Nicky gave blood. Good weekend.

As of press time, pitchers and catchers report in Fort Myers, FL in just under two days! Who's excited? I know I am!

2 comments:

Sooze said...

I'M GOING TO THE APRIL 1ST GAME TOO!!!!

I totally just yelled that. Section 134 my babies! I think this is a lovely opportunity for a Yeah Buddy Babes Love Baseball field trip... to a beer stand. :) Let's do it!

Sooze said...

P.S. I actually laughed out loud at that Kevin Slowey story. Aren't awkward moments the greatest?