24 November 2007

A heavy heart

saying goodbye

Torii Hunter signed for 5 years and 90 million dollars with the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim--what a ridiculous name--and Yeah, Buddy! wishes Torii the best of luck as a Halo.

It was brutally obvious that this was how the story would play out at the trade deadline. Remember how he and other blue-chip players criticised Twins management then? That's not the kind of thing that a contented player says to the media. Color me the opposite of shocked. However much affection I had for Two-I, though, I'm in the camp that believes that he's not worth the contract he got. He has struck me as a player who played to get contracts--I'm certainly not saying he took games off, not at all. But I believe that contract negotiations put a little fire under him. That man is a class act, there's no denying it. But he will most likely wind down his career as a lifetime .265 hitter, posting about 20 HR and 90 RBI for the next couple of seasons--respectable numbers, to be sure, but hardly worth $18m a year. I do believe that in three or four years, Angels' brass will be shaking their head as they sign an $18m check.

Having said all that: bloody hell will I miss the guy.

Now that Torii's tale has been told, what of our good friend Johan? Those reliable "sources" tell us that he was offered what amounted to an extension of 4 years and 80mil. Is he worth it? HELL yes. Is he worth what he's asking--6 years at 126 mil? I don't know. But trading that man is a thought that I don't relish.

Should Twins fans get used to this scenario? Opening Day 2008. Facing Torii in an Angels jersey. And the veteran Twins pitcher toeing the rubber that night is ..... Boof Bonser.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree that the Angels top brass will one day, not far down the road, be shaking their heads at the Torii signing. I don't think that will be this season or even the following year, but in 2011 there will be many players with superior talents making a lot less money than Torii.

As for Johan, I have to disagree just a little. I would love to see the Twins pony up and re-sign him to the mega-deal he very rightfully deserves. But if the Twins have an opportunity to fill some hole offensively by trading Santana and acquiring a third baseman, center fielder, and/or DH, I would be happy with that as well. The best rumored offer out there was from the Dodgers, who could send us Matt Kemp, Andy LaRoche, and Clayton Kershaw. That deal sound pretty appealing.